On behalf of our client, Waste Management, Inc. (WM), we are currently seeking a Senior People Manager based at the company’s collections plant location in Kansas City, KS. This is an excellent career opportunity for a well-versed HR leader with experience in both a union – and non-union environment.
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. The company is strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism, and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects
In the role of Senior People Manager, you will be tasked with strategic people solutions and guidance to an HR organization covering a large area with approximately 1100 employees at multiple locations in 4 states: KS, MO, NE, and IA (the Heartland area). You will have 2 direct reports. You will be responsible for supporting and ensuring the execution of initiatives that build trust, employee engagement, leadership effectiveness, leadership development and workforce efficiency for a diverse workforce in an emerging and fast paced enterprise. This is a hybrid position based in Kansas City and expected travel with the region will be 10-20%.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identifies and activates People solutions that impact the company’s ability to meet business objectives. Must accurately diagnose organization issues, develop solutions, and implement action plans
- Leadership activity will include managing talent through proper succession planning programs for key contributor and management positions, learning and development programs for preparing employees for career advancement and employee development programs to enhance employee knowledge and understanding of the business of the company and the industry.
- Execute area/business unit/functional-level strategies to improve organizational health and culture. Lead and participate in diversity & inclusion initiatives.
- Coaches and advises managers, supporting multiple functions/departments on people matters.
- Proposes People solutions and/or organizational changes at an operating unit and/or department level based upon an analysis of operational opportunities.
- Hires, leads, develops, and coaches members of the People Organization.
- Develops written and oral presentations that have high clarity and impact. Provides regular written reports as needed to business unit and/or functional department leadership.
- Serves as an advisor to management for employment related legal issues and ensures local compliance with federal, state, provincial, and local employment laws.
- Partners with the People Director to identify and prioritize opportunities for process improvement and new initiatives.
- Oversees / monitors new employee orientation to foster engagement.
- Oversees employee separation notices and related documentation and orchestrates and/or conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Prepares reports and recommends procedures to reduce absenteeism and turnover.
- Oversees training on company policy, programs, and other issues as they arise.
- Counsels managers on various employee and labors relation matters. Partners with Center of Expertise (COE) accordingly.
- Participates in the budget process; analyzes data (year-to-date, year-over-year, to budget, to prior year, etc.)
- Competitive compensation package including excellent benefits.
- Hybrid position.
- Great career opportunity with a growing national company.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (accredited); major in Industrial/Labor Relations, Human Resources Management, Psychology, or related field. Or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and four (4) years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: Seven (7) years of experience managing human resource systems, process, programs, initiatives, and professionals (in addition to education requirement).
- SPHR Certification preferred.
- Possess & leverage human resource discipline, operational and/or business acumen to influence shareholder value. Understanding of, and some experience with, most or all core aspects of Human Resource Management (staffing; employee relations; performance management; leadership development; training).
- Ability to think strategically and translate concepts into actionable items
- Must possess consultative style and approach with proven ability to develop credible relationships with business partners
- Strong analytical & diagnostic skills. Utilizes data analytics to identify People insights to make proactive solutions.
- Ability to assess & develop individuals’ knowledge, skills, and ability. Talent management and succession planning experience preferred
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to present their point of view in varied business situations
- Ability to understand the business operations from both a strategic and tactical perspective
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects with overlapping tasks.
- Strong labor relations skills preferred.
- Experience in both union- and non-union environment preferred.
- Ability to travel 10-20%, within the region only.