About this vacancy:
An exciting opportunity for a high-energy leader and hands-on MACHINING MANAGER with proven experience in planning, directing, and coordinating work activities in a manufacturing environment within the medical devices industry (instrumentation, implants) in accordance with cost, quality, and quantity specifications. This role is based in Wisconsin (between Milwaukee and north Chicago) and reports directly to the General Manager.
The MACHINING MANAGER is responsible to schedule, direct, and coordinate personnel and adjust workload to maximize production goals and meet clients’ delivery time by providing leadership, guidance, and coaching to a team of 45 highly skilled machinists and technicians (CNC milling, lathe, turning, tooling). The MACHINING MANAGER will be responsible to maintain, evaluate and make recommendations for key investments in equipment, infrastructure, and talents to ensure that FDA 21 CFR 820 regulatory and ISO 13485 requirements are met, product quality is in conformance with the regulations, and that the customer’s requirements are fulfilled by implementing continuous improvement efforts and defect reduction initiatives to establish an effective leadership.
Established twenty years ago in Europe, our client is an international leader in the development and manufacturing of Orthopedic and Spine surgical instrumentation and implants, with several production facilities in Europe, Asia and North America. Our client employs over 900 skilled and dedicated specialists across the world including more than 150 at this production site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage, oversee, and mentor a team of 45 highly skilled machinists & technicians (CNC machines and equipment, milling, lathes, turning, and tooling).
• Plan, direct, and coordinate the work activities and resources necessary for manufacturing products in accordance with cost, quality, and quantity specifications.
• Provide guidance and direction to subordinates while setting performance standards, monitoring performance, and ensuring accountability.
• Schedule, direct and coordinate personnel and adjust workload and orders as needed to maximize department throughout, maintain production goals and meet customer delivery dates. Ensure completion dates are met for all assigned departments.
• Ensure employee accountability of all personnel in all aspects of performance including but not limited to quality and non-conformance, setup and production efficiencies, and accurate and complete documentation.
• Determine training needs and implement an appropriate training and cross-training program to ensure employees have the necessary skills and talent to achieve company goals.
• Conduct thorough interviews with all candidates for machining.
• Work and confer with all necessary departments and managers to exchange pertinent information to ensure customer quality requirements and on time delivery is being met, as well as to proactively address issues.
• Investigate personnel issues and partner with HR to decide appropriate course of action.
• Ensure company policies are enforced & suitable employee discipline is taken as appropriate.
• Address personnel issues directly with employees as well as actively participate in employee coaching and counseling discussions with HR.
• Conduct new hire and annual performance reviews and set goals and plans with each team member. Review their progress towards attaining those goals.
• Analyze operations and review performance data to evaluate performance of assigned departments and personnel in meeting objectives, and to determine areas of potential cost reduction, program improvement or policy change.
Manage the movement of product in and out of the facility to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability of the operations.
• Establish or implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, or procedures in conjunction with organization officials and staff members.
• Ensure manufacturing equipment is qualified and maintained to perform to defined specifications, ensure proper use and maintenance of equipment.
• Evaluate and make recommendations regarding key investments in equipment, infrastructure, and talent.
• Responsible for meeting 21 CFR 820 & ISO 13485 requirements and providing an atmosphere and direction for continuous improvement.
• Evaluate the team for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group.
• Confer with organizational officials and staff members to discuss issues, coordinate activities, or resolve problems.
• Act as a communication liaison between leadership, the company, and employees.
• Participate in the contract review process and provide input to design reviews, process determination and inspection criteria for all production orders.
• Establish credibility throughout the organization as an effective leader.
• Implement corrective action plans to solve departmental issues and problems.
• Mentor the company 6S program.
• Identify process waste and implement solutions.
• Minimum 5 years of similar management experience in a CNC machine shop, or several years in a CNC machining operations supervisory role w/demonstrated growth in responsibilities.
• Knowledge of raw materials, manufacturing processes, and quality control practices.
• ADVANCED knowledge of CNC lathes, mills and machine tooling.
• Knowledge and understanding of G&M coding as well as GD&T.
• Proficient in machine shop math.
• Knowledge of basic machine programming (FANUC robots in particular).
• Knowledge of ISO 13485/FDA 21 CFR 820 for the medical devices industry preferred.
• Able to read and interpret blueprints. SolidWorks would be an added value.
• Ability to understand the technical attributes of a wide range of precision, mechanical products. To identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Ability to communicate effectively in multi-discipline, cross cultural environment, and levels of organization. To make difficult decisions that impact people, resources, & the organization. To lead, guide, direct and motivate individuals and teams to accomplish goals & objectives of the organization.
• Ability to effectively handle supervisory responsibility for all multiple departments. To work in a team environment, as well as autonomously. To be capable of handling stressful situations and manage conflict.
• Maintain sense of urgency and ability to prioritize work.
• Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to corporate mission.
• Computer literate in various software applications (i.e. Microsoft Office).
• Must have the ability to work within strict deadlines and under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor.
• Competitive compensation
• Healthcare generous package (Medical, Dental, Vision)
• General plan (401K match, S-T/L-T disability, Life insurance)