On behalf of our client, UBE America Inc. (UAI), we are currently seeking a talented and experienced Human Resources professional to lead their HR operations for North America. Based on overall experience and skillset, the ideal candidate can be either a Human Resources Manager or a Human Resources Generalist who can grow with the company into a Human Resources Manager role within a couple of years. Preference will be given to qualified candidates who have experience in working for a Japanese company and have knowledge of the Japanese working culture. The position is based at the company’s headquarter in Livonia, MI.
UBE America Inc. (UAI) is the North American organization of UBE Industries Ltd. focused on Marketing and Sales of the entire product range of the mother company UBE Industries Ltd. / Japan as well as sister company UBE Corporation Europe S.A.U. Future growth of this market is expected in the North, Center and South American regions and the development of each market is an important target for UBE Group.
Company website: https://www.northamerica.ube.com/
As the HR Generalist, you will be given the opportunity to lead the development and application of HR best practices and policies to support business and operational needs, but also to engage the employees in a safe and enjoyable work environment. You will play a key role in determining the strategy and direction of all HR related organizational aspects and you will play a key role in helping the company with their growth plans for North America.
- Manage the implementation of the company’s policies decided by the Board of Directors/President or Management.
- Provides coaching, leadership, and support to managers and employees regarding Human Resources policies, procedures, programs, questions, and concerns.
- Leads and manages all employment practices which include recruitment, orientation, professional development of employees, promotions, transfers, terminations and temporary agency utilization.
- Administers various human resources policies for the site including the administration of attendance and disciplinary policies ensuring consistency within location.
- Acts as an employee advocate and mediator with employee relations concerns and handles human resources legal issues as required.
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements; conducts investigations; maintains records; represents the organization at hearings.
- Participates in employee disciplinary and/or counseling issues with supervision as necessary; reviews any disciplinary documentation as it may apply.
- Manages performance review process and ensures employee training is inclusive of any competency development plans.
- Administers all employee benefits and payroll programs and coordinates with corporate as necessary; works with payroll if needed to answer employees’ questions about compensation.
- Work closely with the management team to recruit/hire all salaried exempt/non-exempt, hourly, part-time and agency employees (when applicable).
- Ensures employee onboarding and orientation is effective. Follows-up as necessary.
- Manages the process for any visa- and / or green card applications and related documentations together with service providers.
- Helps establish and manage an excellent professional working culture within the Company.
- Manages the company’s meetings process: Meeting of the board of directors, monthly & quarterly meetings and any company event.
- Utilizes excellent communication and interpersonal skills; successfully establishes and maintains professional relationships and works effectively with all levels of management and employees.
- Manages external service contracts, e.g. office cleaning, consulting, legal advice etc.
- Manages the company’s documentations & filing (especially the validity of the documents).
- Competitive compensation package including excellent benefits; e.g. 401K, Health, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, STD, LTD.
- Excellent career opportunity with growing international company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- PHR/SPHR certification a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of HR labor and employment law, and the ability to interpret, apply and articulate this knowledge in support of business initiatives.
- Strong oral, written and presentation communication skills.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Ability to express opinions in a professional manner, strong conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent understanding of cultural differences and organizational dynamics.
- Professional maturity with the ability to gain respect and trust. Provide an excellent balance of toughness and empathy.
- Strong MS Office skills including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Experience with SAP Business One or SAP R/3 a plus.
- Having a very positive work attitude. Tactful, mature, flexible and able to successfully respond to multiple tasks and working under time pressure. Willing to work some longer hours during peak periods
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing to individuals and groups in English. Japanese language capabilities would be an asset.
- Experience in working for Japanese company and knowledge of the Japanese working culture would be highly desired.