Uzin Utz North America, Inc. is the North American subsidiary of UZIN UTZ AG, Ulm, Germany. The parent company was founded in 1911 and is a vertically integrated manufacturer of product systems designed for the preparation, installation, finishing and care of all types of floorcoverings.
UZIN UTZ AG is a German publicly listed, family-managed business, currently in its fourth generation, and has over 1000 dedicated employees. Uzin Utz AG currently has 19 production plants around the world including one plant in the US. Uzin Utz North America offers its products in the United States under the UZIN, WOLFF, and PALLMANN brand names.
The next step in Uzin Utz North America’s national growth strategy is the construction of a second production plant facility in the Western U.S. For this expansion, they are looking for a Director of Manufacturing to assist with the project management of the new construction as well as overseeing all operational aspects and management of both plants.
In this position, the Director will be instrumental in assisting with the completion of the new manufacturing plant and will also receive a great deal of freedom to develop, direct, improve and coordinate the master production schedule as well as defining future manufacturing strategies for both plants.
The Director needs to navigate well in an international environment and should be comfortable working across multiple business units and will supervise the strategic execution of production which will positively impact revenue and profitability, while increasing corresponding market share for Uzin Utz North America, Inc. The Director should not be fazed by complex situations and needs to have the ability to get to the core of an issue and make quick decisions. This is an opportunity to play a key role in developing high-level manufacturing plans.
With a sound manufacturing background, proven leadership skills, conceptual inclination, strong business acumen and, above all, a desire to succeed, you will be a valued member of the senior North American leadership team.
Objectives and Key Responsibilities
- Play a key role in the successful building and completion of the second manufacturing plant in the Western U.S.
- Drive comprehensive manufacturing & supply chain initiatives with focus on efficiency and optimization that address future needs and trends.
- Serve as a strategic input provider and ‘visionary’ to the president of the North American operations.
- Develop and implement manufacturing best practice using the principles of LEAN and 5S methodology in accordance with overall business plans and policies.
- Provide clear and specific feedback to leadership team and plant managers to improve the company’s capabilities.
- Work closely with the engineering department at HQ on project planning, implementation and best practices.
Leadership & Personal Management
- Provide leadership, coaching, direction and coordination of training to plant managers to realize their full potential and maintain high level of performance.
- Manage people with an effective organizational structure while ensuring succession planning.
Manufacturing & Supply Chain Management
- Overall responsibility for the management of both U.S. manufacturing plants and achieving all targets related to the North American strategy.
- Plan factory workload and continually optimize performance.
- Ensure fulfillment of targets and deadlines.
- Prepare manufacturing mid-term and annual planning/budgeting to include investments for both manufacturing plants in cooperation with plant managers.
- Take full responsibility to achieve manufacturing cost targets.
- Drive factory efficiency according to Total Synchro principles.
- Academic qualifications for a Manufacturing, Mechanical, Electrical, Process or Chemical Engineering degree (BS), Masters of Business (MBA) a plus.
- Minimum 8 years of shop floor experience in adhesives, bulk goods, batch processing, mixing, filling, raw material.
- Manufacturing & supply chain experience with financial responsibility.
- Experience with plant construction and expansion projects.
- Minimum 3 years in a leadership role with 20+ reports.
- LEAN, 5S qualification/certification and project management skills.
- Experience in a B2B international industrial environment.
- Strong analytical skills to derive appropriate measures.
- Proven track record in driving and delivering results.
- Demonstrates proactive behavior, takes initiative and strives for continuous improvement.
- Must be dependable, loyal and a team player.
- Flexibility to work in a dynamic international work environment.
- Fluent in English, additional language skills would be an asset (German/Spanish).
- Position will be based at the southwest manufacturing plant.
- Travel required (50% – to Dover plant and HQ).