On behalf of our client, Safespill Systems LLC, we are currently seeking a talented Engineering Manager for their manufacturing facility in Houston, TX. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced and well-versed Engineer with experience in managing complex mechanical engineering projects- and teams and must have a strong background in working with/designing aluminum and stainless steel in industrial applications.
Our client Safespill Systems (https://safespill.com/) is an innovative technology company that manufactures and installs environmentally safe fire protection solutions for commercial and military aircraft hangars, as well as storage units for composite IBCs in industrial distribution centers. The company has its own machinery to manufacture its systems and its own fire test facility ensures that each system meets its standards.
The company is currently transitioning out of the “startup” phase into a more mature organization. Their current size is 40 team members and is expected to grow to 100-150 in the near future.
The company culture is one that values Self-discipline, Teamwork, Self-improvement, and Quality, as well as having fun. Their shop is equipped with a self-built bar for Friday afternoon drinks, a pool table in their break room, and they have a fully functional CrossFit gym with a coach who coaches multiple sessions a week.
The company is proud of supplying to the military in helping them establish and increase the safety of the environment in the aircraft hangars. When joining Safespill, you must have respect for – and enjoy working with the military.
In the role of the Engineering Manager, you will report directly to the CEO who also functions as the CTO of the company. You will be responsible for leading a team of highly skilled engineers in the day-to-day tasks and activities to design, develop, manufacture the company’s product systems. Based on your technical and leadership capabilities and skills, you will play a key role in the company’s success and continued growth path.
- Streamline, accelerate completion, and improve the quality of the creation of general arrangement drawings that are part of design submittals to our clients.
- Streamline, accelerate completion, and improve the quality of shop drawings.
- Streamline, accelerate completion, and improve quality of prototyping different features and solutions for unique hangar applications.
- Ensure drawings and 3D models are modeled according to our best practices, are properly reviewed, and previous mistakes are not creeping back into designs.
- Attend/run daily scrum meetings in an efficient and collaborative way.
- Coach, mentor, and develop engineers in problem-solving skills, decision-making process, and overall efficiency.
- Build and lead the engineering department as a cohesive, high performing team
- Build trust relationships with peer managers and ensure that all engineers on the teamwork well together with other departments in the company such as procurement, supply chain, manufacturing, and the installation team.
- Ensure that engineers have a healthy balance between confidence and humbleness needed to prevent silos between departments.
- Ensure that all engineers, including the manager, have a thorough understanding of the Safespill floor and how it performs in hangars or distribution centers for IBC storage. This means that every engineer occasionally needs to be part of an installation team for 1-2 weeks and goes on troubleshooting or regular inspection trips to client sites. This includes the Engineering Manager.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Excellent career growth opportunity with an innovative and fast-growing company
- Reporting to CEO/CTO – high impact position
- Relocation assistance will be provided as needed (to avoid traffic, must live relatively close to the company).
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or relevant technical degree and relevant experience.
- Minimum of 10 Years of engineering experience in an industrial manufacturing environment. Could also be a combination of engineering and manufacturing engineering.
- Strong background in working with/designing aluminum and stainless steel in industrial applications. Experience with aluminum extrusion processing preferred.
- Familiar with/knowledge of electrical controls/PLC
- Minimum of 3 years managerial experience, including engineers.
- Strong background in manufacturing and lean principles.
- Excellent leadership skills: Communications, motivation, coaching, and development.
- Must have a “drive” for implementing structure through procedures and the ability to hold the team accountable to follow the procedures.
- Must have creative abilities, be able to visualize mechanical concepts
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Willing to work extra and flexible hours, sometimes up to 60 hours/week.